- 2-2.5kg duck
- 1 apple halved
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 sprig of sage
- Salt & ground black pepper
For the gravy
- 25g plain flour
- 600ml chicken stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/ Fan 200C/Gas 7. Remove the giblets and surplus fat from inside the duck and set aside. Place the apple, sage and lemon inside the bird.
- Place the giblets into the bottom of a roasting tin, then place a wire rack on top and then sit the duck on the rack.
- Put the duck into the oven for 30 mins until brown
- Drain off any fat into a bowl (keep this to roast the potatoes in). Reduce the temperature of the oven to 180C/ Fan 160C/Gas 6 and cook for a further 1 -1 ½ hours or until the bird is cooked thoroughly. To test if the duck is cooked insert a skewer or knife into the thickest part of the thigh, the juices should run clear.
- Remove the duck from the roasting tin and leave to rest for around 20-30 minutes.
- To make the gravy. Drain off all but 2-3 tablespoons of the duck fat then place the roasting tin on the hob, stir in the chicken stock and flour, season to taste. Strain and thicken if required with a little more flour.
Top tip – try serving with apple sauce!